Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Not Another Boring Blog

The lack of a smile on my face in the picture at the top of this page belies what I was feeling at the time. How can I be sure what I was feeling at the time? Well, I was at Disney World in Orlando so there is no doubt that I was happy. I remember the first time I went to the beach and saw the ocean. It was the summer following my 6th grade year. I grew up a PK (preacher's kid) and we didn't travel much for various reasons. I vividly remember reminding myself where we were several times a day by saying aloud, "I'm in Florida!" I couldn't believe it. I could've just sat there and looked at all that water the whole trip and been happy. As I got older, we went to the beach a little more frequently and some of that childlike excitement wore off. There was nothing quite like that first time.

I went to Disney World for the first time in the summer of 1984. My sister took me with her family. I had a great time but I was a teenager and there weren't many things that impressed me much at that time. I went again in 1987 with my class on our senior trip. We only had one day at the park and all of it was spent in the Magic Kingdom. Still a teenager, I was more interested in my social life than theme parks. Gigi and I went in 2000. Now thirty-one years old, I was able to enjoy the atmosphere of the parks more. My son was born in April of 2001 and Disney World and I drifted apart. We became distant and didn't communicate much anymore. As 2006 was coming to a close, that was about to change. Mightily.

My mother-in-law gave us all a trip to Disney World as a Christmas present that year. I was excited. I was a father now. In fact, March of 2006 had seen my wife give birth to a beautiful baby girl. Christmas found me the father of a five year old son and a nine month old daughter. Doing things with your children that you did before you were a parent gives those things new meaning. Trust me on that if you aren't a parent. In March of 2007, my family, the families of my wife's two brothers, my mother-in-law, and a family friend, Tori, spent a week at Disney World. It was incredible. I was smitten.

To see my kids, especially my son, awestruck by the sights and sounds and tastes of  this happy place only added to the fun. It was truly magical to me. My daughter celebrated her 1st birthday in the Magic Kingdom. She got a button to let everyone know it was her birthday. I celebrated my 38th birthday there that week. I also got a button and had a bird poop on my Barry Krauss/Jay Barker autographed baseball cap as I stood waiting for food at the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland. On my birthday. It didn't matter. Okay, it mattered a little but I got over it quickly. How unhappy can you be in the happiest place on earth? Even with a bird poop stain on your favorite hat. I would submit to you that you can't be too unhappy at all.

This particular trip was my 4th to Disney World with number five coming just eight months later. My son and daughter will be making their 5th trip to WDW this November. If you haven't been to WDW during the Christmas season then you've yet to fully experience WDW. Disney does everything all the way and the holidays just makes the magic that much more magical.

I said all that to say this: I started this blog to share my love of all things Disney with you. You may not want to hear about but I sure do want to write about it. I like to think that over the last few years we've become pretty adept at planning trips to WDW as well as making the absolute most of our time there. My wife and I have helped lots of people plan their own WDW trips and doing so, at least to us, is the next best thing to being there. I'd love to use this forum as an opportunity to offer insights, tips, and things that we've learned on how to best navigate the various parks and attractions. Going in without a plan can make things difficult to say the least. Walt Disney World is a sprawling complex that requires forethought and planning ahead.

I also want to hear about your experiences regarding the various Disney parks. In fact, share your stories, pictures, tips, ideas, favorite places to eat, and everything else you care to. I love it all! When I retire, if I ever get to, I'm moving to central Florida and getting a job doing something, anything, at Disney World. Heck, I might do it a lot sooner than that!

Finally, I've also enlisted the help of a bona fide Disney expert in Tiffany Singleton. Tiffany lives here in Wetumpka and you can be sure that when we talk, Disney will be a part of that conversation. I'll let her tell you more about herself and how she became a so-called Disney nut like me. She has a Facebook page called Dis-Girl on which she dispenses all sorts of news, information, and advice about Disney World. I put a link to it near the top of this page. Check it out.

Anyway, hope you have fun with this page.

3 comments:

  1. My dad just went to the Happiest place on earth two weeks ago and Epcot too, he didn't leave so happy. I remember he was mad when they closed 10,000 leagues under the sea ride (I remember it when I was a kid). On his recent trip he was mad about all the changes in Epcot too. Well after paying $82 for a day pass and another $30 for a park hopper add on, x2 for the two of them, I can hardly blame him for being "Done" with Disney World.
    Two years ago, we staid in the park and had all access, including after hours for people staying on DW properties. I was unimpressed with the way rides seemed to be run down in DW and Epcot. I wanted to go to one of the water parks, but again that was an extra charge, even though we had 7 day passes. Which by the way isn't a whole lot more expensive than a 2 or 3 day pass.
    Not sure if I'll ever go back. But then again I'm more of an action guy.
    I've been there 4-5 times, once when I was a kid and apparently didn't care for anything more than finding the guy with the ice cream. Again in my teens with my family again. Then in my early 20's with a GF, then again recently.
    For the money, I think that there are lots of other things to experience around the country.
    Northern/Central California was nothing like I expected it to be. Obviously I love Colorado, but the first drive out there was an experience too. The 1st,2nd,3rd..ect drive from CO to Vegas was always an adventure too. Add Yellow Stone in WY. Grand Canyon, not that great, but you got to see a big hole in the ground once, best from an airplane out of Vegas :-).
    The meteor crater in Winslow,AZ is cool, Especially after a week on a houseboat on Lake Powell.
    Then for a late summer trip don't forget Oshkosh, WI for the worlds busiest airport for a week.
    And finally, Lake McConaughy, Nebraska..What a crazy place in the middle of the country. Farmland, sage brush, corn,corn,corn, WHITE sandy beaches, 4x20 mile lake, sailing regattas, camping, 4x4 wheeling. All less than 3 hours from Denver, CO.
    I'd suggest to move around the country.
    There is so much to see and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to travel, too. I love WDW! Blasphemer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thad, I'm so excited that you started this blog. I have so much Disney info floating around in my head right now I don't know where to start!

    To Britt, I have been all over this country and you are right there are all kids of wonderful sights to see, but WDW is definitely our family's firt love :-) And really, it's one of the most economical trips we take. As a family of 6 I have learned how to look for the "Disney Deals." In fact, that's usally the first thing I say to people who are new to traveling to WDW or haven't been there in a long time, it can be an economical trip and don't EVER pay full price! EVER! There is always some kind of discount out there. All of our annual trips now revolve around WDW's free dining promotions.

    Anyway, I'm so glad Thad started this blog and I hope to contribute some useful info for all the other Disney fans out there!

    ReplyDelete